With the release of OS X Leopard 10.5.7 (codename Juno), you probably want to upgrade to the latest version. 10.5.7 boasts tons of new fixes ranging from Parental Controls to Server issues. Lucky enough, 10.5.7 is actually very easy to install and doesn’t break too many things. So with that in mind, lets jump right in to the update. Just note that this has been confirmed working on systems running 10.5.6 versions of Kalyway, iPC, and XxX. Feel free to test it on systems running other versions of OS X and leave a comment on how it goes because it is the combo update so who knows…
1. Backup your computer. Seriously, stop what you’re doing a make a backup. You won’t regret it.
2. Go to Apple.com to download the 10.5.7 Combo Update.
3. Open the DMG and launch the Package Inside.
4. Run the installer and then click reboot when prompted.
5. Let the computer reboot and boot back into OS X. The first reboot after installing 10.5.7 will most likely fail and you will either get a Kernel Panic or it will restart on it own. This is completely normal. If you get the Kernel Panic, do a cold shutdown (hold power button for 8-10 seconds).
6. Turn the computer on again and boot back into OS X with the “-v” (verbose) flag.
7. Wait as this boot will probably take a little longer than usual. Just let it run and eventually you will be back at the familiar login screen. Login to your account and let your Desktop load.
8. Download and reinstall the Broadcom Script, Trackpad Preference Pane, and AppleHDA.kext which will all be broken after the update.
9. Repair Disk Permission and then reboot.
10. Congratulate yourself for successfully upgrading to OS X Leopard 10.5.7
If after installing the update you no longer see the battery meter, download and install the Voodoo Kexts. This will give you your battery meter back. Everything else besides for Audio, WiFi, Trackpad Preference Pane, and in some cases, the battery meter, should be working after installing 10.5.7. If you have any other issues than please make a comment below and we will get back to you ASAP.
If you found this guide useful then feel free to make a donation by clicking the link at the end of the Author’s Mini-Biography. Any amount truly does help.