My significant-other’s father is a store manager for Verizon and he’s said that the iPhone will be coming to Verizon in March, April, or May.
Now, this is one of those things that you accept with a fairly large grain of salt, but everything seems to be lining up for the iPhone coming to Verizon in 2010. Let’s take a look at the facts:
- AT&T is being lambasted by the web right now for its network. One need only look to Twitter to see all the “at&tfails.“
- Fake Steve Jobs’ Operation Chokehold may not have gotten AT&T’s attention, but it’s certainly gotten the media’s, and probably Apple’s as well.
- According to these graphs, AT&T has been spending less and less on network improvements each year, while they’ve been making more and more off the iPhone.
- Verizon’s Chief Technology Officer, Anthony Melone, has said that if the iPhone were to come to Verizon, it would be prepared for the extra load: “We have put things in place already. We are prepared to support that traffic.”
- Apple’s contract with AT&T will expire in 2010. Perfect timing.
With all these things in mind, I don’t see how Apple wouldn’t want to leave AT&T and get jiggy with Verizon. I would hold off on getting a DROID, unless you’re a die-hard Google fan.